Friday, July 29, 2011

Reason 1 Million: Why we haven’t moved yet…

When we first moved into the house Jedd saw the floors and said he just could not live with them. Just in case you don’t remember or I didn’t post it here are the floors as they looked two months ago:






Jedd’s rational for why the floors would keep him up at night were that the run in the wrong directions. They are “historically inaccurate” not only because of the direction they run but also because of the material. Plus they look fake. A bigger issue was that the floor just wasn’t level.

So fast forward a month and I finally give in since exposing the brick created a gap between the stairs leading the 3rd floor and removing the carpet also uncovered what a crappy condition the stairs were actually in.





So why haven’t we moved into the house. WELL we were going to move in this week, but then we decided to fix the floors which started Wednesday (a day later than scheduled) and is now expected to run 7 days rather than 3. I’m not surprised. The only thing I keep telling myself is that in 20 years I’ll look back on all this and laugh.





My only real complaint (besides all the NON-REAL complaints) is that I think we did this is the wrong order; we probably should not have painted the baseboards before we installed the floor. If I was planning on doing this again I would not do that.



Best thing to come out of all this is they removed the part of the fireplace that came so far out and are going to run the floor right up to it. And the appliances in the kitchen that sat too low and weren’t level with the counters will actually be raised.



You notice anything about the wood we selected? Five guesses….ok I’ll tell you, it’s unstained. Yup because we like to make decisions; because we’re so good at it we decided to have them stained afterwards. So we will be having the “what color should we stain the floors” saga all weekend. It’s sure to go as well as the “what color should we paint the living room saga”.

What are you doing this weekend?

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment