Sunday, December 30, 2012

2012 accomplishments…none of which were resolutions…



This post should really be called things I did this year that I’m not sure I should be proud of …yet I am (proud of them that is):

1    Watched all 86 episodes of Felicity. I know the show started in 1998 and ended in 2002 but I didn’t start watching Felicity (back then) until almost the end of the 3rd season and I didn’t stick with it. When my friend Heidi expressed disbelief that I hadn’t seen the whole thing I thought the only thing that made sense was to start it from the beginning. I’m not sure if it was a better show now that I have the benefit of being 15 years older than the characters but I swear there were some life lessons to be learned. If sending your kids to college is still something one does 20 years from now then I will sit my kid down their senior year of High School and have them watch all 86 episodes in preparation.

Life lesson number 1: Just because you’re feeling bad about yourself or your boyfriend/girlfriend/crush isn’t interested in you does not mean you make yourself feel better with some sex with someone else. Because you may feel better at that moment but after that alcohol wears off you’re going to feel worse.

Life lesson number 2: Do not under any circumstances drastically cut your hair after a break up.

Life lesson number 3: If you and your new friend have the same taste in men (this only applies to women I don’t think it matters for men) then it’s very unlikely you will continue to be friends. Especially if the men you guys like doesn’t find one of you repulsive.

Life lesson number 4: No matter what you may think at some point you are actually going to need to support yourself. So if your parents are paying for college, don’t get too comfy and select a major that you really won’t be able to support yourself with (example Felicity is smart enough to be a doctor but choses to major in art).  Get a job in college if you can, start hoarding your money because eventually your parents are going to wise up and cut you off.

Life lesson number 5: Though following a boy to college (or anywhere else for that matter, especially uninvited) is probably not the best idea it’s also not the worst. Listen if you cancel all your CA college plans to attend college in NY which your parents can equally afford you’re probably going to be fine. And actually your plans to go to college in CA probably weren’t all that concrete.

Life lesson number 6: F*%king use protection. There were more false alarms and one accidental knock up during those four years of college. I’m like if one freshman you know gets pregnant from having a one night stand why don’t you all stock up on birth control and condoms? Learn from others mistakes!!!

Most important life lesson from Felicity: If you have two guys to choose from (as in somehow your equally attracted to them and you feel this is “love”) and one of them is blonde, mostly getting by on his looks and athletic ability but really immature and a little dumb (let’s be honest Ben was dumb, how he ends up going pre-med with a GPA of like 2.0 I’ll never understand) while the other one is smart a good guy and honestly not unattractive…GO WITH THE SMART GUY. Looks fade…and I’m not just saying this because I have a thing for brunettes with green eyes (#TEAMNOEL)

2.       I took not one, not two, but five vacations and one weekend trip this year. Now when you look at it you think ok not bad especially if your job is stressful like my old job was. But the vacations were taken AFTER I quit that stressful job. Basically I took the summer off…

3.       I took the summer off: God I know unemployment is running rampant and there are people burdened with six figure student loan debts who would love to be working. I was not one of those people. I decided I would LOVE to be taking the summer off so I did. I highly recommend it, if there is a point in your life, Post College, before kids where you are able to take a summer off comfortably, please do. There is nothing like it.

4.       I returned to Facebook, signed up for Instagram and numerous blogs. I am not going to lie to you but I love social media. I’m not even going to pretend it’s because I like to keep in contact with people from my past or that it makes me feel connected. No the real reason I like it is I AM NOSEY AS HELL… I follow something like 80 people on Instagram. Its pictures so I can scroll through at my leisure and get an idea of what you are interested in. For instance if you want to know what I am interested in you can see from my Instagram it’s primarily dogs and food since that’s what I post most. When Chris Brown and Rihanna got back together I added them both to Instagram hoping for some really juicy photos. Blake Lively got married to Ryan Reynolds so I added her too. I talk to the same five people every week and that’s how I like it, but I could easily tell you what is going on with another 100 people based on their blogs, reality TV, Instagram or Facebook. I mean seriously I have to have something to do at red lights, the doctor’s office or as I fast forward commercials.

5.       I ate a Shake Shack burger (my first) knowing full well it was 870 calories. I also split fries with a friend as I ate this burger. I was in NYC, on VACATION, and damn it was good.


I plan on making some 2013 resolutions but if it’s anything like last year it’s looking bleak for me having any real accomplishments.

1 comment:

  1. Lol I am so "proud" of you for your Felicity accomplishment!! Isn't it funny how we were both attracted to Ben but wound up with Noel-types? I guess that's Hollywood vs reality. PS rob just said "but Noel was a whiny bitch!" And I was like "um, yeah..."

    ReplyDelete