Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Why I blog…

The question I often get asked, mostly by family and friends who don’t blog, is why I do it. Some can’t understand why the blog isn’t anonymous or why I chose to do a public blog. So I thought I’d do a little blog about what else but the why’s of blogging. The reasons are quite simple:



1. I have a bad memory and am rarely in the present: Blogging helps with both of these. I’m the kind of person that every moment I’m doing something I’m thinking of what I need to do next. Even when I’m doing something fun and enjoyable. I could be on vacation and I will be thinking when I get back I’ll need to schedule that eye exam. As a result there are many times I’ve looked back and thought “damn I wish I had been more focused and really paid more attention to that experience”. The rarely being in the present is also why I generally have a really bad memory about the details of things. I don’t remember my best friends name from the 2nd grade though I remember her face, I couldn’t tell you the street we lived on my freshman year.


2. Because I hate talking on the phone and am bad at staying in touch: I despise talking on the phone. I do it a lot for work and I find it really unenjoyable. I think it has something to do with also not being able to see the other persons face. Since the majority of my family lives in Australia and the rest live out of state I rarely am available to talk when they are. Plus with my memory I often think I have told someone something when I haven’t. Blogging is a great way for my friends and family to be able to see what’s going on with us, should they care to do so.


3. For the future me: One thing I constantly think now is I wish I kept some type of diary when I was younger. I can’t remember what I thought but I do know I was quite different than I am now. I think it will be funny for Jedd and me to look back at the progression of the house and see how things like tree trimming were a major catastrophe in 2011.


4. I don’t blog anonymously and the blog isn’t private because when I read blogs the ones I find myself revisiting time and time again are not anonymous. It’s the feeling of getting to know that person that keeps me coming back for more.


If you blog, why do you do it? What got you started? Do you blog anonymously?

No comments:

Post a Comment